Tax & Benefits Helpline

Tax & Benefits Helpline

Benefits & Tax Helpline Numbers.

Tax Helpline Numbers
UK Tax & Benefits Helpline.

Taxes we pay in the UK.

HMRC Revenue & Taxes are a department of the UK Government responsible for collecting taxes. The payment of some forms of state-funded support, and other regulatory regimes such as the national minimum wage. Tax Helpline Numbers and contact details are listed at the bottom of this article. Paying Tax can be daunting progress, but with the wealth of information out there. Understanding taxes and their purpose can help towards improving the economy and also increasing the welfare of the country. This article will give a brief summary of the many different types of taxes & benefits. A paragraph for each tax/benefit helplines will also be available.

Pay As You Earn (PAYE).

Pay As You Earn, commonly referred to as “PAYE”. Is HM Revenue and Customs’ (HMRC) system to collect different Income Tax and National Insurance from employment. Exemptions apply from PAYE if no employees are paid £112 (or more) a week. Has another job, gets other benefits and expenses, or is receiving a pension. Company directors or self-employed will have to fill in a self-assessment form every year. Read the self-assessment helpline section.

A) P45: A P45 is given by an employer when the employee stops working for them. A P45 shows how much tax has been paid on a salary within a taxable year (from the 6th April to 5th April).

B) P60: A P60 shows the tax paid by an employee within a taxable year (the 6th April to 5th April). A P60 is required to prove how much tax has been paid on a salary, for example, to claim back overpaid tax, like proof of income, or to apply for tax credits.

C) P11D: An employer will send a P11D to the HMRC if an individual is in receipt of any ‘benefits in kind’ (for example an interest-free loan, a company car, or loaned computational equipment). The P11D records how much each individual benefit is worth. See the PAYE Helpline Page.

Income Tax.

In its simplest form is tax paid on personal income. Not all income, however, is taxable. Tax is required on money you earn from employment, profits made if you’re self-employed, including from services you sell through websites or apps such as eBay, and certain state benefits and dividends from company shares. Take a look at the Income Tax section of this website and see if it helps you understand a bit more about income tax.

Council Tax.

Has to be paid if you’re 18 or over and own or rent a home. A full Council Tax bill is built on at least 2 adults living in a house. Spouses and partners who live together are therefore jointly accountable for paying the bill. A 25% discount is applied if you count as an adult for Council Tax and either live on your own or if no other adult lives in the premises, and a 50% reduction if there is no one at all living in the house. If you need to talk to your council click here and enter your postcode to find your local council office

Value Added Tax (VAT).

Is a tax on various goods and services throughout the world. A VAT Return is a form filed with HMRC (usually 4 times a year), to show how much VAT is due to be paid to them. If a person is not registered for VAT, a VAT Return will not be required. A VAT Return should be submitted to the HMRC every 3 months – this is known as an “Accounting Period.” The VAT Return records things such as total sales and purchases, an amount of VAT owed, and the amount of VAT that can be reclaimed. A VAT Return must be submitted even if no VAT is to be paid or reclaimed. go to the VAT Helpline Page.

Corporation Tax.

These are taxes generated from any profits of a company. High corporation taxes are seen as a way to reduce government spending. Whilst low corporation taxes means more employment. The company is taxed on profits from selling assets or making investments. In the UK, a company must pay the corporation tax if you are a limited company or have are a foreign company with a UK branch. Some companies may be able to pay their tax online through For more information visit the Corporation Tax section of this site or call the Corporation Tax Helpline: 0843 455 0045.

Inheritance Tax.

These are taxes generated from a person’s estate worth more than £325,000. The current tax rate as it stands is %40, however, if more than %10 of the estate is left to a charity, then the tax rate is reduced to %36. It is usually the executor of the will who will pay the tax out of funds from the estate. Those that receive inheritance will not usually have to pay tax on it unless in certain circumstances, but these are unique to each individual. It would be wise to seek advice from a solicitor. Or call the Inheritance Tax Contact Number: 0843 455 0046 and get help with forms.

Stamp Duty.

Stamp Duty is tax generated from legal documents in the transfer of any assets of land or property. Also known as Stamp Duty Land Tax, the average threshold is £125,000. Stamp Duty Helpline: 0843 455 0047.

National Insurance.

National Insurance is regular payment used to fund benefits such as disability, unemployment or retirement benefits. Each individual has their own national insurance number which can be found on a wage slip or on a national insurance card. You will pay national insurance if you earn more than £155 a week. All residents of the UK will receive their card before their 16th birthday whilst people outside the UK, who wish to work in the UK can apply for one and show their employer once they get one. National Insurance Helpline: 0843 455 0119.

Capital Gains Tax.

This tax is generated on the profit of an asset that has increased in value and it’s increased value is anything above basic pay threshold. If the value is under the threshold, then the tax does not need to be paid. This tax also applies to assets being disposed of in any fashion which includes: swapping it for another item, gifting the item or claiming compensation. call the Capital Gains Tax Helpline 0843 455 0092 and get help or go to the webpage here.

Tax Refund or Rebate.

A Tax Refund, also known as a Tax Rebate is if you are employed but due to various circumstances have had too much tax deducted from your pay, or if you have sent in a tax rebate and paid too much tax. If you require more assistance with any of the taxes mentioned, you can call the tax refund number 0843 455 0092 and get help or you may find more information on the government’s website Another useful website is

Benefits Helpline Number

Benefits Available in the UK.

At some point we all need help. If you have a low income, are out of work, sick, disabled, a parent or retired there are a broad range of UK benefits available that may provide the help you need.

Since the rules for claiming benefits depend on your circumstances, it is important to contact the benefits helpline. They can advise you on the different benefits you might be able to claim. If you are on a low income or have no income at all, it is important to get the help you should be receiving. The benefits system is presently going through changes; the benefits helpline will be able to advise you on the latest help available.

UK benefits tend to be broken down into the following types.

Family Benefits.

Depending on your circumstances, if you are responsible for looking after children there are a number family benefits you can claim.

The benefits either provide help for those looking after children (Guardian’s Allowance or Child Benefit) or receive other benefits and there are children in the household (Free school meals). There are also benefits available for those who are pregnant.

Carers and Disability Benefits.

If you are looking after someone with a disability or long-term illness or have a disability yourself, there are benefits that you can claim.

To receive disability benefits. You will either need help with personal care yourself or you are looking after someone who needs care. The benefits are there to help with the extra costs of a disability or long-term illness. Since individual circumstances vary, the amount you might receive will depend on how your condition affects you. This means that someone, for example, receiving Personal Independence Payment will need to undergo an assessment to work out the amount of help they should receive.

Death Benefits.

There are some benefits available that you may be able to claim on the passing of a loved one.

  • Bereavement Allowance.
  • Bereavement Payment.
  • Funeral Payments.

These benefits are aimed at those who are on a low income or claiming benefits and needing help following the loss of a loved one. Unlike other benefits, these are either time-limited or a one-off payment that you may have to pay back.

Housing Benefits.

If you are on a low income or claiming benefits and need help with your rent or Council Tax, the following benefits are available.

These benefits are available from your local Council. Depending on what your situation is you might be entitled to help with 100% of the rent or Council Tax.

Unemployment and low-income benefits.

For those looking for work or in work but on a low income there are benefits available that you might be able to claim.

Budgeting loans are different in that they are available to help deal with situations. Where you need to pay for essential things like furniture for example. Unlike other benefits, budgeting loans do have to be repaid although they are interest-free from the social fund. Universal Credit is another benefit payable to those who or out of work or on a low income. The difference is that it will eventually replace a number of existing benefits.

Pension Benefits.

Someone who has reached the State Pension age will, in addition to getting a State Pension also have an entitlement to a number of other benefits.

If you are on a low income then you may be entitled to Pension Credit. How much you receive will be affected by your circumstances. Other benefits include one-off Winter Fuel and Cold Weather Payments.

Tax Credits.

There are 2 types of Tax CreditsChild Tax Credit, and Working Tax Credit. Child Credit can be applied for if the child, of which the Guardian is still responsible, is under 16 or under 20 and in approved education and/or training. Working Tax Credit can be sought if the individual is aged 16 to 24 and has a child, a qualifying disability. And aged 25 or over, with or without children who are in work, and employed a certain number of hours a week, and has an income below a certain level. The basic amount of Working Tax Credit that can be claimed is a maximum of £1,960 a year. What help you receive will depend on your specific circumstances. Universal Credit is replacing tax credits.

Where Next.

Any help you receive will depend on your particular situation. To that end, you should consider calling the Benefits Helpline on 0843 455 0035 or go online at the Gov.UK for more information.

HMRC Tax Helpline Numbers 0843 455 0092.

Benefits Helpline 0843 455 0035.

4 Replies to “Tax & Benefits Helpline”

  1. I used this website to find the contact number I needed, and I got the help I needed, thanks